[Vm-dev] Array new: SmallInteger maxVal

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Wed Oct 21 02:39:21 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 06:58:30PM -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 10:05:02PM +0200, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
> >
> > >From http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=1282
> > Is this known?
>
> Thanks, it's known now :)
>
> Also added to Mantis at http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7405.
>
> Petr: Yes this is definitely a cool bug.

A fix for this is on Mantis 7405 (http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7405).

The VMMaker updates are in SqueakSource in VMMaker-dtl.142.

A separate patch is needed for platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixMemory.c (see the
Mantis report, patch also sent to Ian).

I have not tested Windows or Mac OS, but the basic scenario now is that
the VM will limit the size of memory increase requests to 31 bit integer
so support code can check for overflows. The requests from the VM are
guaranteed (I hope) be valid 31 bit integers.

Allocation requests of > 950 MB seem to be possible, although I do not
have enough memory on my PC to verify that it actually works.

Limiting allocation requests to more reasonable limits would be the
responsibility of the image.