[Vm-dev] 3.11.3.2135 for Unix

Ian Piumarta piumarta at speakeasy.net
Thu Sep 17 17:23:37 UTC 2009

Hi Subbu,

>> As usual: comments, suggestions, bug fixes (as whole files please
>> not diffs)
> I thought patches were easier to apply to the trunk than whole
> files? Could you
> clarify what you meant, please.

I like to understand what a patch does before I apply it.  My small
brain needs lots of context to understand even the simplest of
things.  So, when I receive patches I do this:

1. check out copies of the relevant revisions of the original files
into a temporary tree.
2. apply the patches to the temporary tree.
3. repeat step 2 with different combinations of -[pcnNR] until it
stops rejecting most hunks.
4. manually apply any hunks that are still being rejected.
5. run ediff between each patched file and the version in the trunk.
6. accept the patches one by one, cleaning up the formatting if needed.
7. edit CangeLog and commit

When I receive entire modified files I can eliminate steps 1 through
4 entirely.

Cheers,
Ian