[Vm-dev] Problems building rev 2181 on Linux

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Apr 11 19:51:40 UTC 2010

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 08:24:06PM +0200, laurent laffont wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> package
> >>
> >> In general, if you are building a VM with the latest version of platform
> >> code from Subversion, then you would also want to use the latest version
> >> of VMMaker from SqueakSource. I am not very familiar with Metacello
> >> configurations, but I would say that it either needs an update to 1.3,
> >> or better would be to just have Metacello always use the latest version.
> >> Is there a way to do that?
> >
> > Yes, load the baseline. In metacello when you do not specify a versio, it
> > loads the last one.
> > There is a entry in Metacello FAQ about that. But it should be:
> > (ConfigurationOfVMMaker project version: 'baselinexxx') load
>
> Here's attached  ConfigurationOfVMMaker with version 1.3 which:
> - fix FreeType plugin
> - set VMMaker package to version. 168.
> But reading this thread I'm not sure this is the best thing to do. Should I
> put it in Metacello repository ?

Laurent,

I would say yes, you should check it in. This will give you a configuration
that matches the platforms sources that are being used in the latest
round of platform updates.

Please set the VMMaker package version to 169 (not 168), as this
will bring in the latest changes, and is compatible with the most
up to date Subversion sources.

I would also recommend that you add a comment either in the code
or in the Monticello check-in note, and mention that this configuration
is intended to work with Subversion revision level 2188 (plus or minus
a little bit). That will give people an indication of what platform
version to use a few years from now.

As Andreas mentioned, you cannot reliably rebuild a VM by referring
only to the Metacello configuration, but that is a separate issue
and you are right to make this update.