[Vm-dev] Problems building rev 2181 on Linux

laurent laffont laurent.laffont at gmail.com
Sun Apr 11 20:07:10 UTC 2010

Laurent Laffont

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 9:51 PM, David T. Lewis <lewis at mail.msen.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 08:24:06PM +0200, laurent laffont wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 10, 2010 at 8:54 PM, Mariano Martinez Peck <
> marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> for

> platform
> version
> version.
> > >
> > > Yes, load the baseline. In metacello when you do not specify a versio,
> it
> > > loads the last one.
> > > There is a entry in Metacello FAQ about that. But it should be:
> > > (ConfigurationOfVMMaker project version: 'baselinexxx') load
> >
> > Here's attached  ConfigurationOfVMMaker with version 1.3 which:
> > - fix FreeType plugin
> > - set VMMaker package to version. 168.
> > But reading this thread I'm not sure this is the best thing to do. Should
> > put it in Metacello repository ?
>
> Laurent,
>
> I would say yes, you should check it in. This will give you a configuration
> that matches the platforms sources that are being used in the latest
> round of platform updates.
>
> Please set the VMMaker package version to 169 (not 168), as this
> will bring in the latest changes, and is compatible with the most
> up to date Subversion sources.
>
> I would also recommend that you add a comment either in the code
> or in the Monticello check-in note, and mention that this configuration
> is intended to work with Subversion revision level 2188 (plus or minus
> a little bit). That will give people an indication of what platform
> version to use a few years from now.
>
> As Andreas mentioned, you cannot reliably rebuild a VM by referring
> only to the Metacello configuration, but that is a separate issue
> and you are right to make this update.
>
> Dave

Done.
I put version 1.2 as release, version 1.3 as development.
To make things less error prone, I'm thinking about opening a workspace when
version xx is loaded with a sort of documentation:

"ConfigurationOfVMMaker version 1.3 uses Squeak VM revision 2188. To check
it out:
svn co http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak/trunk/platforms/ -r 2188"

What do you think ?

Laurent Laffont