[Vm-dev] 4.0.3.2196 for Unix

Ian Piumarta piumarta at speakeasy.net
Mon Apr 12 15:18:46 UTC 2010

Hi Bert,

On Apr 12, 2010, at 7:32 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> 	make: *** No rule to make target `bld/squeakvm', needed by `all'.
> Stop.

This is from the Makefile in your build directory?  Or the one in
platforms/unix??  The latter hasn't been updated since the change to
cmake.  I just updated it.

> IMHO, "bld/squeakvm" should just be removed, right?

It's the first target defined in unix/vm/build.cmake.

> I wanted Sugar's "jhbuild" to use this new tarball release instead
> of pulling from the obsolete olpc branch. But I need to figure out
> another way anyway, because jhbuild needs to set a prefix and that's
> not supported by the top-level makefile anyway.

Sounds like it should be easy.  What do you need?  (Show me what the
invocation of 'make' should look like, and explain as unambiguously as
possible what the variables you pass to it should do to affect the way
things are installed.)

> Jhbuild supports cmake natively, but complains about not finding
> CMakeLists.txt (see below).

It looks like your builder assumes CMakeLists.txt is in the top-level
of the extracted sources.  Ours is buried way down in Squeak-src/
platforms/unix/.  If you can't persuade the build script to look in
the right place, you could maybe patch a Makefile into the platforms
dir that calls cmake on its behalf -- something similar to platforms/
unix/Makefile (the latest version in the repo).

Cheers,
Ian