[Vm-dev] Linux binaries

Ian Piumarta piumarta at speakeasy.net
Mon Apr 12 15:43:13 UTC 2010

Hi Markus, Bryce,

Thanks for the suggestions.

The interesting question is whether gcc -m32 really does build
binaries that are 100% compatible and dependable when running on 32-
bit hardware.  That's clearly the intention of the multilib stuff.  I
was curious to know if anyone has proved its reliability for building
a "real" binary distribution.

I've always had excellent results with debootstrap, in genuine
installs and in chroot environments.  Last time I tried it on Ubuntu I
ran into connection problems with X from within the chroot and gave up
after an hour or two of fiddling.  So...

Rather than make a chroot I'm doing the next easiest thing to -m32:
building remotely on a Debian stable system.  (Dave: this is why your
old libc is making squeak happy again. :)

Cheers,
Ian