[Vm-dev] Linux binaries

Ian Piumarta piumarta at speakeasy.net
Mon Apr 12 15:50:38 UTC 2010

Hi Subbu,

> One option is to use kvm and virtual image to do the build and run
> smoke test
> across different distros. If you use a slightly older distro instead
> of the
> latest one to do your build, it will run on many more machines out
> there.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've been using kvm to run Solaris, NetBSD
and FreeBSD for checking portability and building binaries.  I have a
remote 32-bit Debian box that can build for Linux, so apart from the
slightly better bandwidth I'd get to the kvm machine the easier
solution is to use the real hardware.

After some Googling I still haven't found any unambiguous reports of
whether -m32 is robust for making binary distributions.  Plenty of
stories about compiling with it; nothing about customer satisfaction
after shipping binaries built with it.

Cheers,
Ian