[Vm-dev] 4.0.3.2196 for Unix

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Apr 13 00:29:45 UTC 2010

On 12.04.2010, at 17:18, Ian Piumarta wrote:

> Hi Bert,
>
> On Apr 12, 2010, at 7:32 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>
>> 	make: *** No rule to make target `bld/squeakvm', needed by `all'.  Stop.
>
> This is from the Makefile in your build directory?  Or the one in platforms/unix??  The latter hasn't been updated since the change to cmake.  I just updated it.

I meant the platforms/unix one, which ends up on the top-level in the tarball.

>> IMHO, "bld/squeakvm" should just be removed, right?
>
> It's the first target defined in unix/vm/build.cmake.

Yes, but that was not executed yet if you just untar and run make.

>> I wanted Sugar's "jhbuild" to use this new tarball release instead of pulling from the obsolete olpc branch. But I need to figure out another way anyway, because jhbuild needs to set a prefix and that's not supported by the top-level makefile anyway.
>
> Sounds like it should be easy.  What do you need?  (Show me what the invocation of 'make' should look like, and explain as unambiguously as possible what the variables you pass to it should do to affect the way things are installed.)

Well I'm not sure yet how the prefix would be passed ...

Btw, can you wrap this:

	set | fgrep SQUEAK_
	set -x

in an if [ "0$SQUEAK_DEBUG" -gt "0" ] ?

- Bert -

>> Jhbuild supports cmake natively, but complains about not finding CMakeLists.txt (see below).
>
> It looks like your builder assumes CMakeLists.txt is in the top-level of the extracted sources.  Ours is buried way down in Squeak-src/platforms/unix/.  If you can't persuade the build script to look in the right place, you could maybe patch a Makefile into the platforms dir that calls cmake on its behalf -- something similar to platforms/unix/Makefile (the latest version in the repo).
>
> Cheers,
> Ian

- Bert -