[Vm-dev] InputSemaphore on Windows

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Apr 15 23:07:00 UTC 2010

On 4/15/2010 3:18 PM, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:
> Is there a reason why this isn't signalled when inputSemaphoreIndex > 0?

None. It just doesn't bite me. If it did I would've fixed it already.
Got patch?

> In sqWin32Window.c, the comment for synchronizedSignalSemaphoreWithIndex
> looks somewhat scary...
> But looking at the svn logs, it seems it never was used in the
> record...Event() functions at all, so I wondered if a problem was
> encountered before svn was in use that lead to its removal, or if it's
> just not done by default?

The short answer is that there are so many potential issues with
handling semaphore signals properly that at some point I just gave up.
At this point, there is no reliable way to deliver semaphore signals,
they can and they *do* get dropped (we've proven that).

Cheers,
   - Andreas