[Vm-dev] Squeak on iOS4.2

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 05:49:30 UTC 2010

I checked out a copy of the sources as directed on isqueak.org and tried to
build, but ran into a couple of problems.

I wanted to start with as much stability as possible so I figured I'd check
out the standard VM before Cog.

First, my base SDK was missing. I googled that. Found this:

http://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#qa/qa2010/qa1701.html

Followed the instructions there. It didn't seem to change anything, but it's
worth noting that I did change my settings per this article. I'm guessing
what I found below overrides those settings? Anyway, it's worth noting that
when I was finally able to build, I did so after following those
instructions, so I'm not sure at this time whether or not they were
necessary.

I don't have a 3.2 or 4.1 SDK. I searched for a bit and didn't find a place
to get either one. Xcode complaints were of the form 'iphoneos4.1', so I
grepped.

stratosphere:vm casey$ grep -rl iphoneos4.1 . | grep -v svn
./SqueakPureObjcCogVM.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj
stratosphere:vm casey$ grep iphoneos4.1
./SqueakPureObjcCogVM.xcodeproj/project.pbxproj
SDKROOT = iphoneos4.1;
SDKROOT = iphoneos4.1;
SDKROOT = iphoneos4.1;
SDKROOT = iphoneos4.1;
SDKROOT = iphoneos4.1;
SDKROOT = iphoneos4.1;

Did a search/replace-all and changed these to iphoneos4.2.

I struggled with dialog boxes complaining that Xcode detected tomfoolery on
disk and wanted to overwrite my changes after modifying this file. If I did
this again, I'd probably quit Xcode, make the modification with a text
editor, and then reopen Xcode to build.

Once this was done, it was just a matter of resolving the dependencies on
the Pharo and Squeak .sources files, and voila: I was looking at John's
Obj-C bridge in the iPhone simulator with a big grin on my face.

All in all, it was a fun half hour! Now to make some tea and get to bed.
Sorry if this is old news, figured I'd write it down in case it'd help
anyone else:)

--
Casey Ransberger