[Vm-dev] Re: SmallInetger as methods was not ready yet....now maybe?

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 19:48:19 UTC 2010

On Dec 3, 2010, at 7:02 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:

>> maybe supporting SmallInteger as methods was not a good idea :(
>
> FWIW, Objects as methods weren't intended for SmallInts; they were intended for stuff like method wrappers. Using SmallIntegers for methods is a hack and I'm not surprised it doesn't work.

Me too. They were worked well for normal objects. This is good and valuable hook.

> But it is easy to fix - just wrap your ints into something else and you're good to go.

It does not work in mariano special need because the idea was to push as far as possible the idea that we do not have to allocate any new objects and avoid any proxy memory allocation cost. So clearly this is may be a too hackish hack. Else a plain simple (but allocating memory proxy works well but we wanted to know what is the lowest boundary).