[Vm-dev] [4.2] - VM <-> image release coordination

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Dec 23 05:21:46 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 09:20:42PM -0600, Chris Muller wrote:
> Do we have any items needed the 4.2 image that would be essential for
> the upcoming VM release?

As far as I know, there is nothing futher that needs to be done
on the image side to coordinate with the VM, and everything that
is going to make it into the VM(s) is in place. I should do a pass
through Mantis and make sure we're not missing anything though.

The only image-related thing that you consider is whether to
distribute the image in Cog format (i.e. saved from a Cog VM).
All new VMs will be able to handle this, but it would be a
problem for people with an older installed VM running the new
4.2 image. For that reason I suggest saving the final release
image from a non-Cog VM prior to distributing it. We can handle
that as a final release step immediately prior to putting out
the release image.

I believe that Eliot is planning to push some changes out for
Cog shortly, so I expect it is best to wait for that to do the
Cog-based builds, and aside from that we can probably proceed
with all VM builds at any time.

Just by way of managing expectations, there are sure to be
some difference between the Cog and standard VMs by virtue
of the different code bases. But for most folks they will
be functionally interchangable (aside from speed), and it
will be safe to move an image from Cog to the interpreter
VM and vice versa.

Details of packaging the VMs for Linux have not yet been
worked out, so I expect this to need some attention during
or immediately after this round of VM builds.


More information about the Vm-dev mailing list