[Vm-dev] Mars, stuck on callbacks (again)... need opinions

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Dec 23 23:12:55 UTC 2010

At WWDC 2009 I had a long chat with the manager of the iOS security team at the time I was exploring options for JIT VMs.

mmap & mprotect are BSD unix/etc  non-compliant as there is no way for *you* to set the execute bit on a page. We did discuss perhaps in
an enterprise environment you could have certificates and signing to give you different rights, like say to set page tags, but that has never been offered.

Obviously you *can* set it, but only if you jail break or root the iOS.  But I do recall seeing an article pass my desk the other day saying that Apple was
slowing winning the war there because the time between IOS revisions and jail breaking was increasing and at some point it tips over the fence where
it takes too long to break. This is not to say it's impossible, rather it becomes not worth pursuing for *casual enjoyment*...

John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882