[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] [ANN] VMMaker metacello config for Squeak and Pharo

Henrik Sperre Johansen henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no
Fri Feb 5 23:35:27 UTC 2010

On 06.02.2010 00:18, Andreas Raab wrote:

> What I was saying to David, not to you, is that we need to make sure
> that we don't introduce any undue dependencies on Metacello. Given the
> dependencies of Metacello itself I think there is an actual risk of
> that happening and I simply wanted to remind David that it's important
> for us to make sure VMMaker doesn't require Metacello.
Right. Try loading ConfigurationOfVMMaker though (no dependencies!) and
you'll see what it really is.
A declarative way to define the packages (and their versions) which need
to be loaded to build a VMMaker image.
You can do it manually without loading the tools used for automatic
after the functionality is actually loaded.
I see it as improbable to make VMMaker depend on Metacello to work, as
it currently is make it depend on .mcm's to work.
If there's an obvious point I'm missing, please enlighten me, as I'm
sure David is not the only one interested in what such undue
dependencies on Metacello would actually entail.

Cheers,
Henry