[Vm-dev] Question about primitives

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Mon Feb 8 17:42:50 UTC 2010

Hi folks. Disusing with a friend, he asked me if Squeak was completely
written in itself (actually, SLANG). I think (I am not sure) that some parts
of the VM as Interpreter, ObjectMemory, and most primitives are written in
SLANG and then using VMMaker I can convert from that to C. Ok.....but...I
think I heard that there are primitives that are directly written in C (not
SLANG, no translation).  Is this true ?

If true, how can be that addressed ? where is the C code of that? because, I
take VMMaker, I convert to C, then compile, install and I have a working VM.
So...that C code must come somewhere...where is it ? how can I know if a
primitive is written in SLANG or directly in C?

I hope someone can help this newbie :)

Thanks in advance,

Mariano