[Vm-dev] Question about primitives

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 18:38:54 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>
>> Exactly that was my idea. I see work in progress for minimal images, but
>> not for "minimal" or more modular VM. I said I don't see not because there
>> isn't, just because I don't know.
>>

> The VM is modular by design, i.e., by using plugins. The most minimal VM at
> this point is decidedly the Android VM, see
>
> http://code.google.com/p/squeak-android-vm/source/browse/trunk/project/jni/
>
> From this VM you could still remove the B2DPlugin, LargeIntegers,
> MiscPrimPlugin, and ZipPlugin. That's pretty damn minimal (the binary is
> 300k in size).

I would definitely /not/ remove LargeIntegers (core arithmetic) or ZipPlugin
(method trailers, loading/unloading compressed files).  We need to start
making a chart of plugin vs functionality supported and (as Tim has
encouraged us to do in the past) start evicting plugins that do not support
core language functionality (e.g. LargeIntegers) or near universal utility
(e.g. ZipPlugin) to external status.