[Vm-dev] Question about primitives

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Feb 9 18:52:42 UTC 2010

Eliot Miranda wrote:
>     The VM is modular by design, i.e., by using plugins. The most
>     minimal VM at this point is decidedly the Android VM, see
>
>     http://code.google.com/p/squeak-android-vm/source/browse/trunk/project/jni/
>
>     From this VM you could still remove the B2DPlugin, LargeIntegers,
>     MiscPrimPlugin, and ZipPlugin. That's pretty damn minimal (the
>     binary is 300k in size).
>

> I would definitely /not/ remove LargeIntegers (core arithmetic) or
> ZipPlugin (method trailers, loading/unloading compressed files).

Oh, for sure. That's why they're in there :-) Ditto for MiscPrimPlugin
(which has some of the string comparison prims) and B2DPlugin is
required due to the heavy use of gradients and stuff.

The above is close to the smallest set of plugins if you don't require
I/O. If you do, you would definitely add SocketPlugin (which is on my
shortlist for the Android VM).

Cheers,
   - Andreas