[Vm-dev] Question about primitives

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Feb 9 22:59:51 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 05:41:03PM +0100, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> - is there a way to know which are the "core" plugins ? I mean, suppose I
> want to deploy an application, do you know more or less which plugins will
> be VERY likely to be needed ?   For example, I guess I don't need
> CroquetPlugin or FFI if I don't use it in my app, but FilePlugin for
> example, I guess it is needed even to bootstrap (maybe I am wrong, it is
> just an example).
> What I am trying to do is to see how can I create the minimal "production"
> vm according to my needs.

The minimum set of plugins required for a useful VM is:
  BalloonEnginePlugin
  BitBltSimulation
  FilePlugin
  SocketPlugin

This produces a VM that can run an image, open the display, read the
source files, and interact with the network. You can add other plugins
as needed. John provided the list of plugins that he includes in a Mac
VM, and you can see the plugins used in Ian's Unix VMs by looking at
the files platforms/unix/src/plugins.int and platforms/unix/src/plugins.ext,
which were generated from VMMaker as of Ian's last distribution.