[Vm-dev] Question about primitives

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 12:38:35 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck <
marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 9:10 PM, John M McIntosh <
> johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:
>

>> http://www.squeakvm.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/platforms/Mac%20OS/vm/Documentation/readme.txt?rev=1984&view=auto
>>

> Thanks John. I have been trying to follow your steps. They are pretty
> accurate, however, I had some problems. I hope my newbie problems be of help
> to update the documentation if required.
>
> 1)  I had to copy the src generated from VMMaker (which was generated by
> default in the same directoy where the image is)  to svnSqueakTree/
> From your comments I think you let also the default src. So, in such case I
> guess to need to do what I did (copy). I am right ?
>
> In summary:  copy
> /Users/mariano/Pharo/imagenes/Pharo1.0-10508-rc1dev10.01.1/src  to
> /Users/mariano/Pharo/VM/svnSqueakTree/svnSqueakTree
>
> 2)  In step 6, A)  it says "Double-click the SqueakVMUNIXPATHS.xcodeproj
> file"    which one ??  because at that time I have 3 of those files, as the
> readme previously said to copy that file to the folder where "platforms" and
> "src" are...So, I have 3 different SqueakVMUNIXPATHS.xcodeproj files.
>
> I used the one of /Users/mariano/Pharo/VM/svnSqueakTree/svnSqueakTree
>
> is this correct ? which should I use ?
>
> 3) In step 6, e) it says "From the Project menu pick the active build
> configuration you want to use."
> I noticed that there is an option "set active build configuration" and 3
>
> 3.a) I am intrigued in the differences of those 3. I mean, what is done
> different in the compilation.
>
> 3.b) What is deploymentSymbols ?
>
> 3.c) Doing develoment, the VM is 2mb, but doing deployment is 3....is this
> correct ??  I would expect the development be bigger that deployment
>
> 4.d) There is an incredible difference in speed. Development is MUUUUUUCH
> more slow that production. This takes me to 3.a)   ;)
>

> 4)  No matter the "set active build configuration"  I couldn't make
> FreeType to work. I open an image with TrueType, but I cannot see the
> fonts...But the plugins are included when building the VM with VMMaker.
> Do you now what can be the problem ?

5)  No matter which plugins I compile with VMMaker, when I open
SqueakVMUNIXPATHS.xcodeproj  with XCode, I see all the plugins I didn't
include, in red, which make sense....so, what can I do to compile correctly
?  go to each red file, right button -> delete  ?   I think that doesn't
work as I have errors trying to compile after that :(

Thanks!

Mariano