[Vm-dev] We want Cog! We want Cog! And some political blabbering...

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jan 8 14:22:51 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 10:02:20AM +0100, G?ran Krampe wrote:

> We all know how open source works and we all know that One Man (although
> his name is Eliot) can't match the strength of a strong open source
> team. You need to build a community/team around Cog, you can't just dump
> it on us and then expect all the Igors and Davids etc to dig in and
> learn it! It doesn't work that way, it takes time to grow a team and
> every day that Cog is under wraps is another day wasted growing that team.

IMHO, in this particular case, I think it really *does* work this way.
Speaking just for myself, I think that if all the Cog work was in
a public repository, there is very little that I could do to offer
constructive help, and there is quite a lot that I might do that would
be distracting.

Also, I think that open source is not just about source code, it's
also about free access to ideas. Check out Eliot's blog if you want
to see some real open source!