[Vm-dev] We want Cog! We want Cog! And some political blabbering...

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Fri Jan 8 14:36:50 UTC 2010

Hi!

David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 10:02:20AM +0100, G?ran Krampe wrote:
>> We all know how open source works and we all know that One Man (although
>> his name is Eliot) can't match the strength of a strong open source
>> team. You need to build a community/team around Cog, you can't just dump
>> it on us and then expect all the Igors and Davids etc to dig in and
>> learn it! It doesn't work that way, it takes time to grow a team and
>> every day that Cog is under wraps is another day wasted growing that team.
>
> IMHO, in this particular case, I think it really *does* work this way.
> Speaking just for myself, I think that if all the Cog work was in
> a public repository, there is very little that I could do to offer
> constructive help, and there is quite a lot that I might do that would
> be distracting.

But you know, Eliot can always just say "sorry, busy". I really, really
don't buy that argument.

> Also, I think that open source is not just about source code, it's
> also about free access to ideas. Check out Eliot's blog if you want
> to see some real open source!

I know his blog, I love his postings. Last one was a year ago IIRC.

Still, IMHO, open source is about team work. The "doing it all by myself
because noone else can help" seems to me to be a rather non OSS way of
thinking. But hey, that's just my 2. :)

regards, Göran