[Vm-dev] other 64bit changes, header files, and smalltalk

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 10:19:54 UTC 2010

2010/1/12 John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>:

> Attached is a zip file of the header changes to common I've made in the last three months,
> plus some fixes for VMMaker.
>
> If people could poke at them and discuss, that would be helpful.
>
> My other notes say:
> REPlugin is broken
> Squeak3D is broken
> RePlugin is broken
>
> sqInt readImageFromFileHeapSizeStartingAt(sqImageFile  f, sqInt desiredHeapSize, squeakFileOffsetType  imageOffset);
> should be
> sqInt readImageFromFileHeapSizeStartingAt(sqImageFile  f, usqInt desiredHeapSize, squeakFileOffsetType  imageOffset);

Btw,  about that function. Its using a squeakFileOffsetType, which is
platform specific, and i had hard times
trying to deal with right header inclusion order imposing dependency
of interpreter from platform code, which, IMO should be avoided.
I propose to change it to
typedef  unsigned long long vmFileOffsetType;
and use this type instead.
While platform specific code could always coerce this type to own

squeakFileOffsetType offset = (squeakFileOffsetType) vmOffset;

> EXPORT(sqInt) dumpImage(sqInt fileName);
> should be
> EXPORT(sqInt) dumpImage(char * fileName);

> John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882
> Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd.  http://www.smalltalkconsulting.com

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.