[Vm-dev] SystemTracer64 progress

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Jan 12 12:20:31 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 08:16:07PM -0800, John M McIntosh wrote:

> On 2010-01-11, at 7:55 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> >
> > I can now trace a Squeak 3.10.2 image to 64-bit format on my Linux
> > AMD box (little endian), producing a runnable 64-bit image. For
> > an up to date Squeak trunk image, I can trace a 64 image that
> > loads and runs (display opens and things start working), but that
> > has problems with resuming its background processes (low space
> > watcher etc). Possibly it's related to the block closure changes,
> > although I believe there was an earlier report of a Pharo image
> > with block closures being successfully traced to 64 bit format.
>
> It has to be about the word size issue. Send a screen shot of the walkbacks.

I retraced the image, and it fails differently at different points
in the startup.  Unfortunately I did not save the image that was giving
me useful debugger walkbacks.

In any case I can confirm that the Pharo 64 bit image with closures does
work on my machine (so it's nothing related to the VM), and also that
I can successfully trace an older Squeak image to 64 bits on my little
endian box, so I'm probably going to be looking for something related
to endianness in the 64 bit tracer.

Jannik sent his latest changes too, so I'll compare that.

If anyone has a big endian machine handy, it would be good to confirm
if the latest Squeak trunk can be traced successfully to 64 bit format
on a big endian box (i.e. load latest SqS/SystemTracing into trunk image,
run "SystemTracer64 writeImage: 'clone64.image' " and verify that works).
I expect the answer will be yes but I can't confirm.