[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] Numbered primitives in images

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 06:49:11 UTC 2010

On Saturday 16 January 2010 08:25:02 pm David T. Lewis wrote:
>Sorry I was not able to reply earlier. The change was intentional,
>but the effect on Scratch was not.
Thanks David, for the explanation. Scratch is just a canary in the coal mine.
Conventional wisdom lead me to believe that 3.10 to 3.11 would be a normal
upgrade path with bugs fixed, code refactored and performance enhanced.

> Question for Subbu: Is this an important issue may affect a large number
> of Scratch users? In other words, are there kids trying to run Scratch,
> and their Scratch image stops working properly after Squeak gets updated
> to use a new VM?
My concern is that if 3.11 is not backward compatible with 3.10 and break
images this way, people porting projects like Scratch to new platforms will
start forking VM for their project. Fixes that go into one fork may not get
into the main trunk.

Is this a good time to open up a 4.x branch and push the closure changes into
that branch? 3.11 is still on beta so we still have time.

Subbu