[Vm-dev] Re: [ANN] Squeak on Android

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Jan 19 03:36:54 UTC 2010

John M McIntosh wrote:
> A dull iPhone 2nd generation gives
> 21,548,821 bytecode/sec; and 564,465 sends/sec
>
> a shinny newish iPhone 3G S gives:
> 42,xxxx,xxx bytescodes/sec; and 1,1xx,xxx sends/sec.

Interesting! I think that means I need to play with optimizations a bit
more - from what I see it looks like the 3GS runs a 600MHz ARM where the
Nexus runs a 1GHz. Did you apply any optimizations i.e., gnuify, or any
ARM specific stuff?

> Also how many frames per second can it do?  higher performance turned on, oh say bouncing atoms up...

Can't do those yet. I'm using an event VM for the Android and haven't
gotten around to integrating timer events. At this point the VM requires
touch input for *any* operation :-) Plus, every cycle is a fullscreen
update both from Squeak to Java and from Java to the display. A bit more
optimization work to be left done here.

Cheers,
   - Andreas