[Vm-dev] [Fwd: Image file loading]

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 22:28:05 UTC 2010

2010/1/21 Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de>:

> Igor Stasenko wrote:
>>
>> Why one should wait , downloading the whole image, only after that to
>> discover that image format is not compatible
>> with interpreter, or not enough memory etc etc?
>
> Because your use case is purely hypothetical. You are talking about this as
> if it was the most common thing to run incompatible images over slow network
> connections. But it's not. The use case you're describing simply doesn't
> exist and won't for any foreseeable time.
>
> I'm more than willing to revisit this issue once we have a *some* evidence
> that this is an actual issue but up until that point let's avoid solving
> problems we don't actually have.

Reading a 10Mb file from flash takes more that 1 second.
Reading 64bytes(header) from flash stick, takes much less time. Same
for networked mounted drive etc etc.
Take in account a failures, like broken image file, or supplying wrong
file etc etc.
While all of it is obscure cases, it should be handled effectively.

Also, i'm not a fan of burning CPU cycles & system resources in
advance, if there's a possibility for shortcut.
I am sympathizing a green-life movement ;)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.