[Vm-dev] how to add FTPlugin

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Jan 24 16:09:44 UTC 2010

On Sun, Jan 24, 2010 at 04:25:42PM +0100, laurent laffont wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm a real newbie on vm stuff. I've managed to compile squeak vm 3.11-3.2135
> on Linux. Now I would like to add FTPlugin as Pharo needs it, but I cannot
> find where to get it nor  how to include it in the build process.  :(

Hi Laurent,

Are you using VMMaker to generate your sources? You will need to do
this in order to add another plugin such as FTPlugin. If you need
help with this, just ask.

John, will need to correct me if the following is not right, as I have
not looked at FTPlugin in a while and I know he has done recent work
to update it for 64 bit issues.

Assuming that you are using VMMaker, then you just need to add FTPlugin.
First load package FreeType from here:
  MCHttpRepository
	location: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/FreeTypePlus'
	user: ''
	password: ''

Then load FreeType-Plugin from here:
  MCHttpRepository
	location: 'http://source.impara.de/freetype'
	user: ''
	password: ''

For reference, here are the repositories for plugins that I know about
(and I'm sure it is not all up to date, so corrections are welcome):
  http://squeaksource.com/VMMaker/update-dtl.2.mcm

Once this is done, you should be able to open a new VMMaker window,
or click the "Rescan" button on a VMMaker tool that is already open.
Look for "FT2Plugin" in the left hand pane, and drag it over to
either the "Internal Plugins" or "External Plugins" pane, depending
on how you want to build it (probably external would be a good choice
for this plugin).

>From there you should be able generate sources, and the FT2Plugin
will be included in the next build.