[Vm-dev] Merging SqueakVM and CogVM

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Thu Jul 8 00:33:29 UTC 2010

Ok, having merged with the V5 macintosh VM this afternoon I can say I only had to fix the allocateMemoryMinimumImageFileHeaderSize in the interpreter file.
Then drop back to the old hostwindow and sound plugin in order to get everything to compile ok using the COG source tree from SVN

This said the other stuff:

the "NEW" VMBIGENDIAN is an alias for VMENDIANNESS  maybe we can pick one? Versus having two.
If we have to include
#include <malloc.h> /* for alloca under MSVC */
why not have a #if just for MSVC instead of making dummy files to make compiler happy for everyone else?
We need the allocateMemoryMinimumImageFileHeaderSize versus sqAllocateMemory logic

There are some new api which should be in the host window plugin. They are
ioGetWindowLabel, ioSetWindowLabelOfSize, ioGetWindowWidth, ioGetWindowHeight,
ioSetWindowWidthHeight, ioIsWindowObscured
Someone should define what they do and build a new hostwindow plugin

There is a new file plugin api
dir_EntryLookup   someone should define what it does

Mouse events pass back a new parm nrClicks, but I don't know what it is.

VM Parms for 1005 pass Aqua back but I'm not sure what it's for  http://isqueak.org/getAttributeIntoLength

The SoundPlugin has a bunch of new API calls, I ignore them, someone can define what they should be...

John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882