[Vm-dev] Merging SqueakVM and CogVM

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Jul 8 01:01:42 UTC 2010

On 7/7/2010 3:11 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> Personally, I do not have a good sense of how this should be handled.
> I expect that we will want to keep the traditional SqueakVM alive
> and healthy for at least a few years into the future, but I do not
> know if it is better to merge it with the StackVM, or just let it
> be separatedly maintained for some period of time.

Eliot needs to comment on this but the intention was always to keep the
"classic" Squeak VM working and add the context-to-stack mapping
(StackInterpreter) and the JIT (CoInterpreter). So the real work would
be to merge the Interpreter sources and promote any necessary changes to
[Stack|Co]Interpreter as needed.

Cheers,
   - Andreas