Cog on FreeBSD (Re: [Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Cog on linux)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Jul 15 19:34:14 UTC 2010

On 7/15/2010 11:09 AM, Nicolas Cellier wrote:
> 2010/7/15 Randal L. Schwartz <merlyn at stonehenge.com
> <mailto:merlyn at stonehenge.com>>
>      >>>>> "Frank" == Frank Shearar <frank.shearar at angband.za.org
>     <mailto:frank.shearar at angband.za.org>> writes:
>
>     Frank> /usr/home/frank/temp/platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixHeartbeat.c:383:
>     error:
>     Frank> PTHREAD_ERRORCHECK_MUTEX_INITIALIZER_NP' undeclared here (not
>     in a function)
>
>     Frank> FreeBSD's pthread.h doesn't contain this #define. In fact,
>     nothing in
>     Frank> /usr/include does. I'll investigate further!
>
>     Ewww.  Why do people presume everything's Linux like that?
>

> Because Smalltalkers are happy to be immune to this kind of detail
> behind their vm?
> Because documentations about standards are not that cheap for unpaid people?
> Because there is not enough manpower and such community project has to
> work by gradual error/correction cycles rather than planned development?

[x] None of the above.

Correct answer: Because all of the servers at Teleplace run on RHEL 5.3
and that's the only thing we've tested Cog on. You should expect more
Linuxisms (and even RHELisms) as people try to compile run Cog on other
Unixens. That's the expected state at this stage of the project.

Cheers,
   - Andreas