[Vm-dev] Cog on linux

Rob Withers reefedjib at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 16 23:08:12 UTC 2010

From: "Levente Uzonyi" <leves at elte.hu>
Sent: Friday, July 16, 2010 6:44 PM
To: "Squeak Virtual Machine Development Discussion"
<vm-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
Subject: Re: [Vm-dev] Cog on linux

> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010, Rob Withers wrote:

You lost me on 32-bit binaries not being available.  I found
alsa-lib-1.0.13.tar.bz2 and I am preparing to build it.

My error said:
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib64/libasound.so when searching
for -lasound
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib64/libasound.a when searching
for -lasound

So it looks like I need a .so and a .a file.  As rusty as I am on building
for unix, are these static libs or shared libs?  I do need to figure out how
to cross compile to a 32bit system.  I am researching this for the right
target.  I need i386-linux or something.  I am attaching the config.guess
file they use for this.  Can anyone give me a helpful hand what I should
specify doing ...

        './configure --enable-shared=no --enable-static=yes --target=i386-linux'

Regarding your observation that I don't need sound on a server, that is spot
on.  It may be too entangled for the time being.

Cheers,
Rob