Switching (back) to MSVC (Re: [Vm-dev] What generates disabledPlugins.c?0

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Jul 23 03:36:58 UTC 2010

On 7/22/2010 5:24 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 02:15:01PM -0700, Andreas Raab wrote:
>> Seriously? You mean that if I drop the stuff from
>> http://eleves.ec-lille.fr/~couprieg/divers/patches.zip into my build
>> tree cmake will magically generate MSVC build files and it'll just work?
>> If that's actually true, I'm sold :-)
>>
>> I'll try it tonight.
>
> It's possible that it actually *is* true. This is exactly what CMake
> was designed to do (hence the name, "Cross-platform Make").

Not much success. I tried running CMake naively and was instantly
greeted with the recommendation to run cmake/configure. Which of course
is a shell script so needs to be run from Cygwin. When I do that (after
some fiddling with --src and --generator) it complains that the win32
directory doesn't have a CMakeLists.txt:

$ ../platforms/win32/cmake/configure --src=./src/ --generator="Visual
Studio 10"
-- Configuring squeak  for i686-pc-cygwin
-- Using source directory /cygdrive/c/SqueakVM/cmake-test/winbuild/src
-- Using generator Visual Studio 10
../platforms/win32 -DVM_HOST=i686-pc-cygwin -DPLATFORM_SOURCE_VERSION=
-DVM_VERSION= -DOPT--src=/cygdrive/c/SqueakVM/cmake-test/winbuild/src
CMake Error: The source directory
"C:/SqueakVM/cmake-test/platforms/win32" does not appear to contain
CMakeLists.txt.
Specify --help for usage, or press the help button on the CMake GUI.

Which is correct, but I don't see a CMakeLists.txt in the patches. So
I'm at a loss at this point. Geoffrey, any instructions?

> Frankly I'm not entirely sure
> why Ian went to the considerable effort of moving to CMake just for
> the sake of the unix source tree, but I suspect it was mainly a
> matter of running out of patience with the autoconf mess. Given that
> he did go to all that effort, and given that Geoffroy went to the
> extra effort of getting it to work on Windows also, well...  who
> knows, maybe it will turn out to be worth the trip.

I think the benefit for me would be elsewhere, namely in being able to
just gen Makefiles for various compiler versions. It is quite a pain in
the rear to try to load a Visual Studio X build file into a Visual
Studio X-1; if cmake could make address this it might be worthwhile for
that reason alone.

> Note, IIUC Geoffroy's work is focused on building unix and Windows
> targets from a unix host, so it might not be what you would have in
> mind for a native Windows build process (Geoffroy, please correct
> me if I misunderstand).

That's okay, I'm just trying to see what cmake actually spits out.
Unfortunately I'm a complete noob in this area so I'm stuck with the above.

Cheers,
   - Andreas