[Vm-dev] Re: Immutability, newspeak (was: Vm-dev post from jbaptiste.arnaud@gmail.com requires approval)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Jun 8 16:15:18 UTC 2010

On 6/8/2010 7:41 AM, David T. Lewis wrote:
> What do the VM developers think with respect adopting the VM changes?
> The immutability bit is a scarce resource. Is it OK to allocate it
> for this purpose or are there likely to be other projects interested
> in using it for other reasons?

Honestly, I don't thinnk the immutability bit carries its weight here.
There's some fun stuff you can do with it, for sure, but outside of
*extremely* specialized applications (oodbs) there will be little to no
use for it. At least I don't see where you'd make use of immutability in
some random app that's not a database. If it were essentially free to
add it, I wouldn't mind (like I said there's fun stuff that one can do)
but given that we're talking about allocating a header bit I feel that
there's just not enough mileage we get out of it...

Just my random $.02.

Cheers,
   - Andreas