[Vm-dev] Re: Immutability, newspeak

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Wed Jun 9 22:07:42 UTC 2010

I don't want to interrupt this interesting discussion, but am wondering
if the alternative of having a dedicated memory area for immutable
objects and moving objects to/from there has been considered? Then you
can exploit the features of the underlying hardware or operating system
to trap any writes to one of those objects.

About immutable strings, that is what Self uses instead of symbols. It
works great, but is certainly harder to adapt for an existing system
than building it in from the start. Another Self feature I like is that
characters are just strings of length 1 (Logo also works like this).

-- Jecel