[Vm-dev] Re: could not find module vm-display-X11

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Jun 11 12:05:06 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 09:17:51AM +0200, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 8:43 AM, spiralofhope <spiralofhope at lavabit.com>wrote:
>

> > On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 00:39:34 +0200
> > Mariano Martinez Peck <marianopeck at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I cc'ed vm mailing list that maybe they can help you.
> >
> > Just a quick note that I've subscribed to this list to make
> > communication less complex.
> >
> > I'm going to explore Squeak to try to reproduce this issue with it.
> > Maybe if I can get Squeak working I'll learn enough to get Pharo
> > working.
> >

> The VM is the same so if you can open a Squeak image you can also open a
> Pharo image.
>
> You can try last vm binaries found here: http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/. For
> example take
> http://www.squeakvm.org/unix/release/Squeak-4.0.3.2202-linux_i386.tar.gz,
> extract the archive, cd into it and type:
>
> ./bin/squeak /path/to/pharo_or_squeak.image

Yes this is good advice.

The vm-display-X11 is a loadable module similar to an external plugin.
The error message you are seeing suggests that the VM was able to locate
the module, but had a problem when loading it. Possibly this is an
issue with the versions or locations of runtime libraries on your Linux
system.

The first thing to try is to use the latest VM from squeakvm/org/unix
and see if this makes a difference.