[Vm-dev] Temp directory for Squeak

K. K. Subramaniam kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 15:20:05 UTC 2010

Hi,

I propose that we add one more user directory to squeak - a volatile writable
directory that can used for temporary files. On most hosts, temporaryDirectory
will be mapped to RAM and not hard disk or flash memory. RAM has reduced I/O
latency, power drain and wear/tear.

mktemp family of calls can be used to create it (on first access) portably in
both plugin code and in launch scripts.

One use case was its use to convert LaTeX code into images on the fly (cf
LatexMorph) for typesetting Indic/Math text.

We could use it for Squeakets, for caching large remote files, for dealing with
A/V clips etc.

Subbu