[Vm-dev] a Cog branch

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 22:43:35 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com> wrote:

> Eliot, how about using github for it?

I think that's great for the whole Squeak VM not just Cog.  I'm not doing
this now because I think Cog should live with the rest of the Squeak VM.
 Let's start a separate discussion on whether we should move
http://squeakvm.org/svn/squeak to github, or at least to git with a home on
machines we control..

> It would be much convenient for use, since it supports branching and
> no need for someone to be added to 'official' list of contributors in
> order to push own
> patches.
> Anyone could make own fork at any time, and at any time, a core
> developer could backport the changes
> into official repository.
> I think github model is very good for community development. Then i,
> for instance, could
> push my own changes into my branch, and it will be easy to track,
> exchange and port the code between
> forks and official repository.

Agreed.  Git and/or Mercurial is much better than svn.

best
Eliot