Forks (Re: [Vm-dev] a Cog branch)

laurent laffont laurent.laffont at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 09:29:23 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 10:56 AM, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 6/25/2010 1:41 AM, Casey Ransberger wrote:
>
>> So I guess what I'm saying is that I think we shouldn't worry at all about
>> forks, and that statement includes not worrying at all about being
>> compatible with forks. If I wanted to fork Squeak (and I do from time to
>> time,) quite frankly, I think it would be unreasonable to expect Squeak to
>> be compatible with my fork; when you fork, you're on your own. Anyone who's
>> ever maintained a fork of something knows this from personal experience.
>>
>> Now back to SCM. There are some nice wins with Git over Subversion, mostly
>> to do with fast merges and distributed development. In fact I'd like it if
>> we learned some things from Git in our further development of Monticello.
>>

> I agree with merging (the only argument that carries any weight here). I
> don't buy the forking argument. The number of people building VMs is *tiny*
> compared to general Squeak users. Having those fork instead of pool their
> resources is an absolutely deadly fallacy. As a consequence, I think that
> it's a Very Good Thing (tm) having to pay a price for forking. It should be
> easier to contribute back to main line sources than to fork.

I try an argument.

Now vm-dev team uses SVN, and there's forks. But you don't know it. They may
be wonderful patches, they're lost on people hard disks.

With a DVCS there will be forks too. But you know it, you can track it,
others can try it and say "hey this is cool, it works, merge it please !".

IMHO it's really important that fork is easy. Look at the Linux kernel, it's
wonderful.

Laurent