[Vm-dev] Run seaside as window service

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Tue Mar 2 12:28:55 UTC 2010

harji gill wrote on seaside list:
>how can I start seaside as a window service for window XP and above.
>
>currrently I am using    Pharo.exe -service:"mywebapplication" Pharo.image.
>but its not working.

Because the default Squeak/Pharo VM for Windows is not compiled anymore
with this option. It's disabled in the build.

See the thread "Win32 VM Service facility broken?" in the archive [1].
Looks like it is still not fixed and I got no answer from Andreas on
my last post [2] regarding this issue.

Three options:
 - compile an own VM with the option enabled in the makefile (according
   to Andreas this would slow down startup)
 - ask Andreas if is able to look into this to reenable the facility
   in the standard Windows VM and make it working again
 - use a more reliable platform (Linux, ...) with a different VM

I cc: this to vm-dev list, maybe someone is able to help you here.

Bye
Torsten

[1] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2009-November/date.html
[2] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2009-November/003358.html