[Vm-dev] [ENH] A better finalization support (VM & language side)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Mar 9 00:06:55 UTC 2010

Thanks Igor - if you have been implementing what you've described in
this email I'm all for it. Give me a bit of time to review the code
since this stuff can be tricky.

One thing I do recall and that you may want to check is that testing
class membership can be tricky during GC - in fact, the introduction of
a weak format was due to issues with determining the class of some
object correctly. Unfortunately, I do not recall the exact details but
it's worthwhile going through this very carefully and make sure that one
can actually rely on a) the class pointer being valid (and not
substituted while traversing the object) and b) the pointer in splObjs
be valid (and not substituted).

I'll give this special attention while looking through the code.

Cheers,
   - Andreas