[Vm-dev] [ENH] A better finalization support (VM & language side)

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Mar 10 03:16:23 UTC 2010

On 10 March 2010 04:34, Levente Uzonyi <leves at elte.hu> wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, Igor Stasenko wrote:

>>> I still don't see how is it unsafe.
>>>

>> A simple copy is fine. A copy, which then registered in weak
>> dependents creating a problem.
>>
>> I even think that weak registry should not behave as collection at all,
>> and having only #add: method, with no ability to remove items.
>>
>> The only use of #remove: i see is in Socket and StandardFileStream,
>> which implement #unregister: in own class side.
>>
>> Now , if you look at my implementation, you could see that there is a
>> way to completely avoid the need in removing items from a
>> valueDictionary which is pairs of  <weakref> -> <executor>.
>>
>> A solution:
>> - add a 'finalizer' ivar to Socket/StandardFileStream
>> - by registering a socket in registry, retrieve an instance of
>> WeakFinalizerItem as a result of registration and store it into
>> 'finalizer' ivar.
>>
>> - on #destroy, simply nil-out all of the finalizer's ivars, so there
>> is no chances that once socket become garbage, it will trigger an
>> executor's #finalize method, which were registered previously in
>> registry.
>>
>> - forget about removing the finalizer manually from registry, because
>> an instance of WeakFinalizerItem which is held by 'valueDictionary' in
>> registry will eventually be reclaimed, once dictionary will discover
>> that corresponding key is nil.
>>
>> What you think?
>
> I took a deeper look and found that WeakFinalizationRegistry doesn't support
> multiple finalizers per object. It does what WeakRegistry did before: throw
> away the previous finalizer and replace it with a new one.
>
> I like the current features of WeakRegistry (removing, adding, multiple
> finalizers per object) and I think it's easy to modify it to use your vm
> support.

Sure, support for multiple finalizers per object could be added. But
as to me, this looks like an over-engineering.

Btw, the current implementation of WeakRegistry is buggy, because of
use non-identity based dictionary.
Try explore contents of it, after evaluating:

10 timesRepeat: [ registry add: (Array with:10) ].
it adds only a single key/value pair into valueDictionary,
while i'd expect to have 10 entries, because i adding 10 distinct array objects.
The flaw in logic is easy to illustrate:

array1 := Array with: 10.
array2 := Array with: 10.

registry add: array1; array2.
array2 at: 1 put: 12.
registry add: array2.

array1 := nil "remove strong reference to array1, while keep it for array2"

The point is, that if two disctinct objects answering true on #= ,
when we adding them to registry
it doesn't means that they will keep to be 'equal' after we added
them, because these objects can mutate.
So, if one of them eventually die, other(s) may still be in use, which
will lead to receiving a death notice to wrong recipient.

> I don't really like your suggestion for files and sockets, but it's doable.
>
> I was thinking about a simpler registry which would use an OrderedCollection
> instead of a WeakKeyDictionary. It'd need a new instance variable in
> WeakFinalizerItem (though it can be another class/subclass too) which would
> store the index of the finalizer in this OrderedCollection. It wouldn't have
> #do:, #keys or #remove:ifAbsent: (though all of them could be implemented)
> and #add: wouldn't replace existing finalizers, but just add them to the
> registry.
> This would have a bit better performance, simpler implementation and less
> features. But if you don't need #remove:, i'm sure it'd fit your needs.
> (It's a bit tricky though. Your socket/file ideas wouldn't work out of the
> box, because all of the WeakFinalizerItems would have to be removed from the
> OrderedCollecion somehow to avoid leaking memory. One solution would be to
> add it to the list on "remove" (when replacing the ivars with nil), another
> would be to remove it from the OrderedCollection by index, but the items
> don't know their collection so it would need another ivar).
>
> All in all, I'd keep WeakRegistry with the current features and optionally
> add a new simpler and faster registry if needed.

Yes, i'm also thought about different ways how to organize things in
less memory & CPU hungry manner.
The main role of weak registry is to receive a notification, when
particular object become garbage.
Obviously, for this, we need to store a reference to notification
handler (also known as executor) somewhere to
be able to handle it. That's why current implementation using WeakKeyDictionary.
Once such notification is handled, we usually no longer need to keep
this object as well (thus we have to remove/unlink it from registry).

My implementation is not perfect, it was mainly a quick and dirty hack
(you pointed on not using semaphores already).
But my intent was mainly to show how to use new VM feature, i added.
So, once it will be approved (i hope) and adopted, we could implement
things properly.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.