[Vm-dev] Re: [Squeak 4.0] RC3 is out

Ken G. Brown kbrown at mac.com
Sun Mar 14 00:41:03 UTC 2010

Good work.
I was wondering why you needed to go to all the trouble with scripting and whatnot for Mac?
Don't you just drag the files into a folder and cntl-Compress from the context menu?

Might I suggest some clear thought on naming conventions and directory organization?

For example I see:
ftp://ftp.squeak.org/4.0alpha/rc3/
Squeak4.0-basic.zip
Squeak4.0-mac.zip
Squeak4.0-win32.zip

So how does Squeak4.0-basic.zip differ from the others? Is Squeak4.0-mac.zip = basic or something else?
When I unzip a file, I expect to get a folder with the same name. Other people don't I know, but it might be something to consider.

I always try to think - write once, read many.
Try to have a naming convention that will keep the confusion demons away for the long term future.

Ken G. Brown