[Vm-dev] [Vm-team] New VM builds to support Squeak 4.1 release (was: [squeak-dev] 4.1 release tasks)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Mar 19 01:20:19 UTC 2010

Ian, John, Andreas:

To support the upcoming Squeak 4.1 release (relicensed Squeak plus
subsequent trunk development), we would like to provide updated VMs
for all platforms over the next two weeks (target April 4 for completion).

The purpose of this message is to start a thread on vm-dev to drive
completion of the "Ensure current VMs" task from Andreas' task list,
see below.

I'm not sure that I'm entirely up to speed on our open issues (sorry),
but I think that the following needs to be done:

- Merge and adopt John's 64-bit and iPhone changes (John, need guidance
  as to specific things we need to include for 4.1).

- Complete the SoundPlugin patches for 64-bit (or I will roll back the
  VMMaker patches until a later date if this cannot be easily completed).

- Updates to support John's microsecond timer changes for profiling.

- Review open Mantis issues for critical open concerns (my responsibility).

- If possible, include FT2Plugin in builds (important for Pharo folks,
  not essential for Squeak 4.1 support).

- Do the builds.

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 11:11:24PM -0700, John M McIntosh wrote:

> On 2010-03-17, at 8:28 PM, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
> > [ ] Ensure current VMs
> > What: Ensure that all platforms have current VMs available, with all required fixes applied.
> > Who: VM maintainers
> > When: April 4th
>
> To do this I'll need some help folding the 64bit changes from macintosh squeak 5.x and the iphone port back into the tree

John, let me know how and if I can help. Given the short timeline, we
should focus on essential changes that should be supported also by
win32 and unix. I'm not clear on which things are needed in the near
term.

For reference, the Squeak 4.1 release tasks thread is here:
  http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-March/147166.html

And Andreas' original posting is repeated below: