[Vm-dev] VMMaker small problem for pharo developper

Henrik Johansen henrik.s.johansen at veloxit.no
Fri Mar 19 13:33:08 UTC 2010

On Mar 19, 2010, at 1:18 17PM, Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Mar 2010, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>

>> On 19.03.2010, at 10:44, Henrik Johansen wrote:
>>>

>>> the method will probably be renamed again in Pharo, to #primFindSubstring:in:startingAt:matchTable:
>>
>> I see no compelling reason why we shouldn't just apply the same refactoring to Squeak? KISS ;)
>
> What about changing the primitive to fail if the String is "Wide", or make it work with WideStrings?
>

> Levente

Sure, it's an orthagonal issue though.
You'd still need the guards in case an old VM is used, and have to skip those if the image the VM was built with included the primitive code which works correctly.
IE. it'd be a real mess, and you'd definately want to have to do it in only one place.

Cheers,
Henry