[Vm-dev] Alien for Win32 too

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Tue Mar 23 08:16:38 UTC 2010

Andreas wrote on squeak-dev:
>The main reason for using Alien today is callbacks. There is still no
>support for callbacks in the FFI so if you need callbacks Alien is your
>choice.

Any chance we can get Alien support included into the official Win32 VM
and therefore provide callback support on Windows too? So one at least
is able to have that choice you are talking about?
Alien is AFAIK easily usable on all major platforms, except Windows.

There were various mails on pushing all that forward, also the code was
provided by Marco and it seems like we have to take two final steps to
get it included (clearify your license question and if OK the final code
 integration into the official VM source)

So again:
Would you please respond on [1]/[2] so we can hopefully move forward here!

I would really like to see callback support on Windows too
(however it is done Alien or FFI) to move other projects (like a general COM/Java interface, ... ) forward.

It's still a shame that Squeak is light years behind other programming
environments on interfacing with the outside world...

Bye
T.

[1] http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/vm-dev/2010-March/004054.html
[2] http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7475