[Vm-dev] Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Some notes about SqueakMap dead in trunk images...

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Wed Mar 24 08:56:59 UTC 2010

Chris Muller wrote:

> Hi Göran, I'm glad you're on for getting SqueakMap going, thank you.
> CouchDB sounds like it might be a great solution for SqueakMap.  If,
> however, you do decide to consider a near drop-in replacement for
> ImageSegments, I have been using
> MaObjectSerializer>>#fileOut:toFileNamed:in: to save/load my objects
> into files intead of ImageSegments for the very reason Andreas said.
> With MaObjectSerialization, it is a logical serialization, not
> physical, which is of course image independent but also safer because
> the Buffer domain maintains full control.  MaObjectSerializer
> class>>#objectFromStream loads.  I would be happy help with this if
> you want.

How much code would that "add" to the image?

The short term fix is of course to use a different kind of
serialization, and hey, perhaps a SmartRefStream works? I haven't had
the time to try.

Andreas did a small XML hack a while back, and any kind of serialization
works as a short term fix. The "only" problem is how to make sure
other/older images works too - at least back to 3.8.

> I am obviously a big fan of SqueakMap.  I think a bump in
> usability/accessibility could reignite and elevate SqueakMap
> significantly upward for another 10 years..

Yeah, and I really would like to move to a different model altogether. A
model which is more distributed. But that is a different story than
fixing SqueakMap for 4.1.

> Regards,
>   Chris

regards, Göran