[Vm-dev] VMMaker[Tool] considered harmful

K. K. Subramaniam subbukk at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 14:37:54 UTC 2010

On Monday 29 March 2010 06:34:05 pm Juan Vuletich wrote:
> Andreas Raab wrote:
> > Here's what I think
> > VMMaker ought to do:
> >
> > * Translate a set of classes into C code in a specific directory.
> But I'd like something else. Currently VMMaker is both for building the
> whole VM and plugins. I almost never build the whole VM. And I build
> small plugins all the time. I believe that the subset for building
> plugins should be a separate package.
+1 and +1 for both proposals. Most plugins are really small and the build
process can definitely be simplified further.

Most of the build happens outside the VM with the C toolkits. The first step in
a build script itself can invoke headless squeak to translate classes (or
slang code) into the build directory.

Subbu