[Vm-dev] Making tar from binaries

K. K. Subramaniam kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Mon May 17 01:53:47 UTC 2010

On Saturday 15 May 2010 01:17:20 am Chris Muller wrote:
> I've compiled and tested a special VM on my local machine, now I want
> to install it on some other machines.  I _thought_ there was an easy
> way to, after "make install" which installs the VM on the local
> machine, to also easily tar it up.  As you know, the default
> installation distributes the binaries over two branches;
> /usr/local/lib/squeak and /usr/local/bin.  I can manually build up a
> tar file to add both branches, but is there a more streamlined way?
The current VM version can run from the bld directory directly. You could zip
just the binaries (squeak, squeak.sh, squeakvm */so.*,...) and unzip them into
a relative directory (say $HOME/.npsqueak/lib/). Now you can run it with
$HOME/.npsqueak/lib/squeak. Look into the launcher script 'squeak' for
details.

HTH .. Subbu