[Vm-dev] CMake for Windows?

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Mon May 17 15:37:10 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 11:15 PM, Geoffroy Couprie <geo.couprie at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Here is the latest set of files for CMake:
> http://eleves.ec-lille.fr/~couprieg/divers/changes-16-05-10.tar.gz<http://eleves.ec-lille.fr/%7Ecouprieg/divers/changes-16-05-10.tar.gz>
> (you have to remove platforms/win32/vm/config.h to make it build)
>
> I tried to remove the dependency on the Squeak-win2-tools package. The
> Direct3D code still uses a lot of DirectX 7 structures, and the recent
> MinGW toolchain provides DirectX 8, so the B3DAccelerator plugin
> doesn't build right now. If it's ok, I'll send other patches to make
> it work with the new version. Otherwise, it's possible to modify
> config.cmake for B3DAccelerator to use DirectX 7.
>
> Could these patches be included now? The Unix VM builds without any
> problem, so it can become the main way to build it (just replace
> platforms/unix/cmake/configure by platforms/cmake/configure in the
> tutorials). There may still be some problems with the Windows build,
> but I'll send more patches once these are pushed in the svn :)

Hi Geoffroy. This is cool work. I cannot help you in the details of how to
commit that in SVN as I have no idea. Listen to David.

Now...I have a couple of ideas:

1) regardless that, it would be really really cool if you can document all
this in the pharo collaborative book. As you can see there is already a
chapter for VM

http://book.pharo-project.org/book/Virtual-Machine/

and the windows part is empty:
http://book.pharo-project.org/book/Virtual-Machine/Building/BuildVMOnWindows/

So...we can write the two possibilities to compile in Windows: the standard
one and this new one using CMake.
You can start writing the one of CMake :)
If you want, please just let us know and we create a user for you.

2) In addition, I think it would be a good idea to have a Git for scripts
for the VM. If Squeak VM developers like them, they can also include it in
the svn.

Laurent Laffont already has a git repository with scripts like easy_squeakvm
or something like that. So, you may want to commit your code there too.

3) What about integrating like easy_squeakvm  with this ?  or do a
easy_squeakvm  version of CMake for winwows ?  I would love to do for
example:

./easy_squeakvm.sh --os=Windows  or ./easy_squeakvm.sh --os=Unix

4) Would be  really great to have a Screencast about how to compile windows
with CMake :)

Cheers and continue pushing.

Mariano