[Vm-dev] Re: latest vmmaker wont run with pharo 1.1.1 (dev)

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Sun Nov 7 14:27:00 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 11:32:04AM +0100, Henrik Sperre Johansen wrote:

> IIRC, it's because in Pharo the method included in MiscPrimitivePlugin,
> String>>#findSubstring..., is no longer the primitive, it's been moved
> to findSubstringViaPrimitive...
> findSubstring... now checks whether the primitive will work for the
> parameters (WideStrings vs ByteStrings), before it actually calls the
> primitive.
> To "fix" this for Pharo, change the method included in
> MiscPrimitivePlugin's "this is where my code should be located"-method.
>
> Cheers,
> Henry
>
> PS. Most of these issues have been discussed here before, do a search of
> the list and you are likely to find answers to speedbumps encountered
> along the way.
> Most notably, there's a MonticelloConfiguration which, as part of
> work on Pharo.

Thanks, that may well be the problem that Mariano is seeing. In addition
to discussion on the list, it is also documented in the bug report that
you opened in Mantis (thank you for doing this!):

  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7479

I think that the proposed solution in Mantis 7479 is too fragile for
my tastes. IMO the obvious solution is to fix the problem where it
orginated, in the Pharo image. If that cannot be accomplished, then
someone might want to just reimplement the primitive as an ordinary
primitive (but that is not something that I am working on).